- Whins of Milton
- WHINS of MILTON, a village, in the parish of St. Ninian's, county of Stirling, 2½ miles (S. S. E.) from Stirling; containing 528 inhabitants. This is now a considerable village, situated nearly in the centre of the parish, close to the Bannock burn, and on the high road from St. Ninian's to Denny. Its vicinity is remarkable as the scene of the murder of James III., the particulars of which treacherous deed are shortly these. During the well-known skirmish between the king and his insurgent nobility at Sauchie, about one mile distant, his Majesty, anticipating his defeat, fled from the field, unattended, and in heavy armour, in the hope of reaching the Forth and getting on board Sir Andrew Wood's fleet, which lay there in wait for him. While endeavouring to cross the Bannock at this village, his horse was startled at the sight of a pitcher which a woman, in the act of lifting water, flung from her on beholding an armed man riding swiftly towards her; and James was thrown. He was carried by a miller and his wife, who were ignorant of his rank, into their house, known as Beaton's mill, near which the accident occurred; and on recovering from his state of insensibility, and fancying himself dying, he informed them that he was their king, and requested they would send for a priest to impart consolation to him in his last moments. The woman ran from the house, calling for a confessor; and happening to meet a party in pursuit of the unfortunate monarch, she intreated of them, if there were a priest among them, that he might instantly attend his Majesty. One of them answered that he was a priest, and desired to be immediately introduced to the king: he found him lying in a corner, and approaching on his knees under pretence of reverence, the regicide stabbed him several times to the heart. The house still stands, a little to the east of the road from Stirling to Glasgow. The village has latterly much increased in size: nail-making, which is carried on to a great extent in the parish, is its staple manufacture.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bannock Burn — The Bannock Burn is a stream ( burn is Scots for stream) which rises in the Touch Hills to the south west of Stirling in central Scotland. The Bannock flows eastward and enters the River Forth to the east of Stirling, close to the site of the… … Wikipedia
Ninian's, St. — NINIAN S, ST., a parish, in the county of Stirling; containing, with the late quoad sacra parishes of Bannockburn and Plean, and the villages of Cambusbarron, St. Ninian s, Torbrex, and the Whins of Milton, 10,080 inhabitants, of whom 1295 are … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
List of state schools in Scotland/Council Areas S-W (excluding cities) — The following is a partial list of currently operating state schools in the unitary council areas of Scottish Borders, Shetland Islands, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, Stirling, West Dunbartonshire, West Lothian and Western Isles in Scotland … Wikipedia
Portobello, Edinburgh — Portobello is a beach resort located three miles (5 km) to the east of the city centre of Edinburgh, along the coast of the Firth of Forth, in Scotland. It is now a suburb of Edinburgh, with a promenade fronting on to the wide sand beach. For… … Wikipedia